DON'T CHECK THE NEWS
I'm avoiding the election today because I figure people are kind of burnt out and everyone, everywhere is fixating on it online, so you can probably use a refuge but I did want to say one thing: if you haven't voted yet... don't check any results, don't turn on the news, and don't look for election data.
It just doesn't matter how anyone else is voting. You go do your part as a citizen, if you're American, and ignore the news. If you absolutely have to, then go ahead and look after you've voted. But never do until you have done your part.
Here are some suggestions of what to do instead of checking electoral results on the news (or online):
- Call a family member you haven't talked to for a while
- Play with your pet
- Go for a walk and enjoy the fall colors
- Help a neighbor rake leaves
- Clean out your gutters
- Make love to your spouse
- Play with the kids
- Try out that new game you bought but never played
- Make a special meal for someone you love
- Learn how to make something from origami
- Buy and read Old Habits
- Learn how to say "hello" in ten languages
- Watch old black and white movies
- Catch up on shows you've missed
- Level up your Pandarian Monk in World of Warcraft
- Make some home made pudding
- Speculate how Princess Leia would look in Disney animation style
- Catch up on old episodes of Mythbusters featuring Kari
- Make a mix CD/MP3 playlist for your significant other - or if you want to be retro, a tape.
- Learn how to cook something new
- Vacuum all the rugs in the house
- Donate to a reputable charity organization for folks in the Northeast
- Wash the shower curtains/doors. What, they probably need it, right?
- Lean the Japanese tea ceremony
- Work on your putting game
- Write a chapter in that book for novel writing month
- Read that book you have been putting off
- Think about your first kiss
- Make a top 10 list of your favorite songs
- Learn how to play a song on an instrument
Just don't fixate on the election and give yourself an ulcer. Let the election happen and find out tomorrow, you'll be happier for it.